First impression of Yale

I have just arrived at Yale and I am still not familiar with this university.  The people here, the architecture, the greens and everything behind it… everything is quite new and attractive to me. If I must describe my initial impression of Yale, I would like to say Yale fits my own understanding of Western elite schools. This impression is reflected in campus scenery and the atmosphere here.



I will never forget the feeling of amazement when I rambled around the campus for the first time. 
“It is glorious!”
 I heard this shout in my heart over and over. As I walked, I saw different Gothic buildings. Every door, every column, every window edge is decorated with exquisite sculptures, which makes me, a fine-arts fan, deeply obsessed. These old buildings seem to bring me back to the past and cause me a kind of nostalgia, even though I have never experienced it. Moreover, I can imagine the overlapping of past and present when I walk under the shade of trees in old campus.



What struck me most was the Sterling Memorial Library. Its appearance is like a magnificent church. I quietly walked into the library passing a crowd on the campus tour. And when I looked up in the foyer, I couldn't help holding my breath. At the end of the foyer is a giant mural and there are huge stained glass windows on both sides of the hall. The solemnity and sacredness of this library not only fill me with admiration but also make me realize that this library is a palace of knowledge. As I walk along the hall and gently touch those stone carvings, I was fully aware of the history here. Eventually, I walked into the study room. I saw the sunshine break through the trees and project green shadows throughout the room. The sound seems to disappear here. The only thing you can feel is the flow of wind. People are immersed in their own world as if no noise will disturb them. This calm and focused atmosphere moves me.





Walking out of the library, I can't help comparing it with my own university. At the University of Hong Kong, people on the university streets are always in a hurry. They walk past one another without emotion. However, the pace at Yale is much slower. People sit on a broad lawn discussing, smiling and chatting, reading and even taking a nap. Here the bright sunshine gives people endless vigor.  I feel the grass touch my ankles. Nature is very close to me, time slows down and my mind gradually becomes peaceful. Quietly, I am enjoying this moment alone. And, I started to look very forward to the next six weeks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Corner of Beinecke Book and Manuscript Library

Into a Miracle